• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

1-D_FTW said:
I've seen a couple articles since 3DS was announced (that I thought were going to be sensationalist) and optometrists were basically saying the opposite: issues with 3D are caused by weak eyes. If anything you'll strengthen your eyes according to these guys.

Crisis averted then. The thought of my eyes being ruined was the last thing really holding me back.

UK Gaffers - I pre-ordered yesterday at Sainsbury's for £199.99, with £5 free Nectar points. Probably the best in-store, day one deal.

I will absolutely get Pilotwings Resort, but i'm torn between Nintendogs + cats and SSFIV. Reviewers seem to love the former (well Famitsu lol), and some people think the 3D in the latter isn't great. Consensus on what my second game should be?

Pyrokai

Don't know if I should be asking this here, but I guess it's the most active 3DS thread right now....

So....we all know that you can transfer your DSi saves to the 3DS, right? I don't know if the functionality is there right now, but it probably will be by the May update. Anyway, what I'm wondering is if the 3DS eShop will sell DSiWare as well as new stuff plus VC stuff. Will the DSi be the only place you can download all DSiWare? To me, it makes sense to at least have a DSiWare section on the new eShop, especially since it can play DSiWare games, but this IS Nintendo we're talking about :p

I'm also wondering if I will be able to only transfer all my games once. Let's say I already transfered over all my DSiWare games to my 3DS, and then a couple weeks later I buy a DSiWare game on my DSi (provided DSiWare is NOT available on 3DS eShop). Will I be able to transfer just that one game over to live happily with my 3DS?

Specific questions, I know....probably aren't any answers but I figured it didn't hurt to ask....

EatChildren said:
All Pokemon 3DS needs to do is allow people to battle via an AR card. Sit the card down, have the Pokemon 3D models pop up, and have them duke it out Pokemon Stadium style. It would work for single player, and it would work fine for multiplayer.

it would make gatherings a hell of a lot more fun here at school.

Pyrokai said:
Don't know if I should be asking this here, but I guess it's the most active 3DS thread right now....

So....we all know that you can transfer your DSi saves to the 3DS, right? I don't know if the functionality is there right now, but it probably will be by the May update. Anyway, what I'm wondering is if the 3DS eShop will sell DSiWare as well as new stuff plus VC stuff. Will the DSi be the only place you can download all DSiWare? To me, it makes sense to at least have a DSiWare section on the new eShop, especially since it can play DSiWare games, but this IS Nintendo we're talking about :p

I'm also wondering if I will be able to only transfer all my games once. Let's say I already transfered over all my DSiWare games to my 3DS, and then a couple weeks later I buy a DSiWare game on my DSi (provided DSiWare is NOT available on 3DS eShop). Will I be able to transfer just that one game over to live happily with my 3DS?

Specific questions, I know....probably aren't any answers but I figured it didn't hurt to ask....

There's a spot in the options menu for DSiWare data management, but none of it is active yet. I wouldn't believe for a second that DSiWare won't be available for the eShop.

Ramenman

M3d10n said:
One the biggest problems with stereo 3D is that it is incomplete. Stereo vision is only part of the information the brain uses to perceive depth: parallax movement is probably equally as important.

With stereo 3D (with and without glasses), a static 3D image does not change when the viewer moves his head, while in real life (and in true holograms) even the slightest movement causes the image to change (enough so you can perceive the distance between objects even with only one eye).

Adding a bit of headtracking to a stereo 3D game would probably boost the 3D effect and maybe even make it easier on the eyes.

What you're describing here is like the "Wii Motion +" of the 3DS.

We now know what 3DS Lite will be like D:

Izayoi

Banned
Pyrokai said:

Have any Gaffers tried moving their stuff over yet? Will it even work without the eShop live?

I would imagine that all of the old DSiWare titles will be available for purchase. It would make no sense to me if they weren't. I mean, the 3DS can play them, why not let people pay for them still? Just intuition speaking, I don't actually know the answer, but I would bank on it.

Espiox

Transfer specifics haven't been announced, we probably won't know until the update comes in May. As for the eShop selling DSiWare, the screenshots do show DSiWare icons.

Manmedaz

Cheesemeister said:
The host renamed the file, but the contents are unaltered. Try renaming it to conform with the contents of your folder. Let me know if the JPG is necessary in order for it to show up.

It's working after the renaming ! That being said, the picture is cut on the top, compared to what I have on my PC.

Izayoi

Banned
Ramenman said:
What you're describing here is like the "Wii Motion +" of the 3DS.

We now know what 3DS Lite will be like D:
Why would you need the 3DS Lite for that?

It has an inward facing camera.

It's just up to the developers to take advantage of it.

Hell, Nintendogs has got head tracking in it. While it doesn't modify the viewpoint of the game it does prove that it can be done just fine on the 3DS.

rpmurphy

Izayoi said:
Have any Gaffers tried moving their stuff over yet? Will it even work without the eShop live?

I would imagine that all of the old DSiWare titles will be available for purchase. It would make no sense to me if they weren't. I mean, the 3DS can play them, why not let people pay for them still? Just intuition speaking, I don't actually know the answer, but I would bank on it.
DSi downloadable software are tied to the hardware that you purchased and downloaded them onto, so without a license transfer system in place yet, it shouldn't be possible.

Platy

Manmedaz said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSYC_NYKIik

This one. The drawing is already done, though, but it show the drawing being moved around, jumping, changing shape (turning into a ball), taking a picture of it, etc..

Is that a Samus fanart ? xD

Thanks !
Can't wait to see it in action *.*
Would be better if showed the tools that it has to draw ... i'm not expecting anything bigger than mspaint, but a person can dream, right ? =3

Manmedaz

Platy said:
Is that a Samus fanart ? xD

Thanks !
Can't wait to see it in action *.*
Would be better if showed the tools that it has to draw ... i'm not expecting anything bigger than mspaint, but a person can dream, right ? =3

No no, a Kirby one, but you can change the shape of the 2D drawing into a ball-like shape.

Articate

Banned
So here's my conundrum, GAF - I know I'm gonna buy the 3DS at some point, and I was thinking about getting it already. I live in Euroland, so it seems none of the titles I'll be throwing myself at will arrive before christmas. So I'm thinking about holding off.

Does anyone have a good guess on how long it will take before we see the release of a 3DSi?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Manmedaz said:
Really impressed with what they do with surface distortion and AR terraforming in that last clip.

Makes me think a table-top version of Advance Wars has got to be in the works. Simpler and smaller maps to keep it manageable, but so much more fun to see the units moving around your kitchen table. Also Pikmin AR could have potential. Could use the lower screen to show you Olimer's POV while the 3D screen would show you the over world view. Could open up more difficult and faster game play as you'd always have access to both views and could quickly survey the scene to see what's going on with your various pikmin "units". A card probably wouldn't suffice for these "map" type games but maybe they could provide some kind of 'tape measure' marker to lay across the surface.

Of course, this could all be moot if it turns out the system's capabilities don't allow for full fledged AR games.

Manmedaz

Articate said:
So here's my conundrum, GAF - I know I'm gonna buy the 3DS at some point, and I was thinking about getting it already. I live in Euroland, so it seems none of the titles I'll be throwing myself at will arrive before christmas. So I'm thinking about holding off.

Does anyone have a good guess on how long it will take before we see the release of a 3DSi?

More than the gap between DS and DS Lite (which was 1.5 years). Source : Iwata Asks + some guessing

daffy

Banned
Possibly Early 2013. Personally, I don't think there will be a revision at all. It seems like they're treating it as another iteration of DS, not a new portable console altogether. If there was no revision for DSi or DS XL, why would 3DS get one? Just my opinion though.

I guess you could look at DS XL as a revision of DSi, I think they'll find another big difference in technology before they revise though. A price drop with new colors will probably happen though.

Somnid

Articate said:

Given what we've seen the 3DS doesn't look like it will need to be upgraded for some time. I'd say at best we could see a 3DS XL in a year but any actual changes to the system's design or features would be at least 2 years out and likely more.

M3d10n

Cheesemeister said:
No, there really isn't any room to move your head before you start seeing cross-talk. Maybe less than an inch.
It's about movements around an inch I'm talking about, not bold movements to look behind things like the DSi game. I mean having the game compensate the perspective for minute movements that happen when actually playing games: you can never hold a handheld 100% still and even pressing the buttons causes some minor movement. This could help with eye strain, since your brain expects a 3D image to react ever so slightly when moved.

Articate

Banned
Yeah, I went through the release dates and some interview with some of the developers. I think it's safe to say that the 3DS will stay for ~2 years before it gets upgraded.

So what games are you guys getting at launch? Are they awesome, or are you just getting something?

Articate said:

What do you mean by 3DSi? I mean, the 3DS is already much more like the DSi than it is the DS - I can't really think of what significant changes they could introduce without fragmenting the platform. Plus, given the update function, I don't think new hardware is as necessary to introduce new features.

Articate said:
Yeah, I went through the release dates and some interview with some of the developers. I think it's safe to say that the 3DS will stay for ~2 years before it gets upgraded.

So what games are you guys getting at launch? Are they awesome, or are you just getting something?
I might just pick up Pilotwings but I'm also getting pokemon black so I'm perfectly fine waiting until after E3 for the stuff I really want.

Jeels

FTH said:
Possibly Early 2013. Personally, I don't think there will be a revision at all. It seems like they're treating it as another iteration of DS, not a new portable console altogether. If there was no revision for DSi or DS XL, why would 3DS get one? Just my opinion though.

I guess you could look at DS XL as a revision of DSi, I think they'll find another big difference in technology before they revise though. A price drop with new colors will probably happen though.

What are you talking about? This is the start of the next handheld generation. 3DS games do not play on DS/Lite/i/XL.

Articate

Banned
cultureculture said:
What do you mean by 3DSi? I mean, the 3DS is already much more like the DSi than it is the DS - I can't really think of what significant changes they could introduce without fragmenting the platform. Plus, given the update function, I don't think new hardware is as necessary to introduce new features.

That's a reassuring statement. Thanks! :)

Also, if I get a 3DS at EU launch, I'm gonna get a bunch of DS(i) games. Could anyone recommend me some? So far I know I'm getting 999

J-Rock

Banned
neo2046 said:
9wfzM.jpg

Holy shit. Mario can watch TV with me. 0_0

Cranzor

Articate said:

I'm getting Pilotwings and Steel Diver (plus I'll have Pokemon Black to play). Pilotwings definitely looks awesome, and I think Steel Diver has the potential to be awesome but I'm not too sure yet.

syoaran

Cranzor said:
I'm getting Pilotwings and Steel Diver (plus I'll have Pokemon Black to play). Pilotwings definitely looks awesome, and I think Steel Diver has the potential to be awesome but I'm not too sure yet.

Steel Diver was actually a lot of fun when I got to play it, which is why I'm confused and frustrated by the lack of release date for the EU on it...

That said, I hope someone will tell me that you can disable the guy saying "Fire" all the time, even in the trailers its very annoying.

daakusedo

To the people with their 3ds, well that's more of a general question but is it ok for the battery to play while it's charging? With 3 hours of charge and the console just released I'm sure some of you have done that. And I welcome new informations about how much time you can take from the battery.

zazzle.com allows people to print large posters no worries of copyrights if you just order the poster for yourself and not putting them up for sale on the store

I am going to test how large you can go when I get a 3DS

Anyone think we should have a topic in the community forum for 3DS Friend Codes or should we just have another Google Document Spreadsheet that everyone can edit and add their code on?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The lifesized AR card stuff makes me think we're seeing prototype Denno Coil technology.

So, how long until Searchmaton is deployed to hunt down people using flash carts?

0CmT7.jpg

ME HACHI!!

Instro

Kaijima said:
The lifesized AR card stuff makes me think we're seeing prototype Denno Coil technology.

So, how long until Searchmaton is deployed to hunt down people using flash carts?

http://i.imgur.com/0CmT7.jpg[IMG]
[I]ME HACHI!![/I][/QUOTE]

Underrated show, very cool but strange.

Luigi87

Kaijima said:

0CmT7.jpg

ME HACHI!!

Oh wow, I had forgotten about this [great] show.

... Last thing I need is some digital police blasting my 3DS!

Izayoi

Banned
FTH said:

None of that post makes any sense.

Top Bottom